issue with testing of mediation

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
adrifont
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Adrian Fontaneda

issue with testing of mediation

Post by adrifont »

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with the modeling and interpretation of mediation effects.

My model has 4 constructs, all reflective in nature, which you can see in the attached files. These are namely Humanlikeness(5 indicators), warmth(3 indicators) , verisimilitude (5 indicators) and state empathy (3 indicators).

Based on the litterature, I would expect warmth to fully mediate the relationship between the IV Humanlikeness and the DVs state empathy and verisimilitude . When I run the bootstraping analysis without the direct path from humanlikeness to verisimilitude, the indirect effect through warmth is significant (p=0,02), in support of my hypothesis. However, inclusion of the direct effects,which turn out to be nonsignificant as expected, renders the indirect effect through warmth marginally nonsignificant (now p=0,06). Besides nonsignificance, the path of the direct effect is negative, which cannot really be accomodated by any of my theories and makes interpretation difficult.

My questions therefore:
1)Why does inclusion of the direct effect, render an otherwise significant indirect effect insignificant? my sample size is N=550
2)In this case: do direct effects need to be included in the model, or is hypothesis testing and modeling without the direct effects warranted in the light of what I have just explained?

So you can better see what I mean: attached you can find the models with and without direct effects, together with the bootstrapping output for indirect effects when direct effects are not included in the model.

I would be extremely thankful for any guidance,

Best regards,

Adrian
Attachments
Indirect effects when direct effects are not included.JPG
Indirect effects when direct effects are not included.JPG (46.76 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Model with direct effects included.png
Model with direct effects included.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Model with indirect effects only.png
Model with indirect effects only.png (16.33 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: issue with testing of mediation

Post by cringle »

You may want to take a look at the updated mediation chapter in the 2nd edition of the PLS-SEM book:
https://www.smartpls.com/documentation/ ... s-sem-book

@1: When you include the direct relationship, it may explain variance that has before been explained by the indirect effect; hence the latter one becomes smaller. For the mediation analysis, you may want to include the direct effect from the beginning.

@2: Keep the direct effect in the model.

Looking at your results, I would not worry about the significance. Much more important: the coefficients are so small that they almost do not matter (i.e., they have no relevance). This is a key problem (which I have not idea how to solve given your model and data).

Best regards
Christian