higher order model to simple model

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
JH Tan
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: JH Tan

higher order model to simple model

Post by JH Tan »

Hi all,

i am a newbie in PLS-SEM

i have a higher order model, 7 latent variable namely Kanban, SMED, JIT, TPM, 5S, Kaizen and VSM. all these connect to a second order latent variable named "lean tool adoption level".

just wondering if i can just make a simple by get the mean of first order latent variable" Kanban, SMED, JIT, TPM, 5S, Kaizen and VSM" and make it become indicator of "Lean tool adoption level"(latent variable) to form a simple PLS-SEM model? as attached
Attachments
forum1.png
forum1.png (9.31 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: higher order model to simple model

Post by cringle »

If the lower order are reliable (e.g. Cronbach's alpha say > 0.8), that's what some researchers sometimes do: they run a factor analysis and, then use the reliables factors as indicators of a higher-order construct.

However, why don't you use the repeated indicator approach instead?

Kind regards
Christian
JH Tan
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: JH Tan

Re: higher order model to simple model

Post by JH Tan »

Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply.
thanks is good to know that. is there any reference that i can refer to? or any key word to search?

i have categorical moderator, therefore i would like to perform PLS MGA so to analyze its moderating effect
just want to try if reduce the number of indicator and LV manage to give me better result.

thanks for your comment really