AVE greater than 1?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
AMunoz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

AVE greater than 1?

Post by AMunoz »

Hi smartPLS User,

I'm calculating a model for my diploma thesis and use in one model reflective and formativ indicators. In general all results seem to be ok so far, but now i realized the strange AVE figures.
In my mind the AVE have to be between 0 and 1. What could had happened if I get even all AVE-figures greater than 1?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help
Regards
Angel
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Hey,

Did you work with standardized or the unstandardized values? If you work with unstandardized values the AVE could be higher than one.

Best regards,

Christian
AMunoz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by AMunoz »

Thanks Christian,
after all I realized it at my own yesterday night:) Nevertheless thanks very much for your very fast help.
Regards
Angel
JanetM
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

AVE greater than one

Post by JanetM »

Hello, I do have following problem: My AVE for the dependent variable is greater than 1 all others variables have good values. How do I standardize the data? I have data from a survey using a 5 - likert scale.

Thank you very much for your help
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Dear Yvonne,

You can ease handle that with SmartPLS. The only thing you have to do is to choose the option “Mean 0, Var 1” under the option data metric before you run the PLS algorithm. “Mean 0, Var 1” means nothing else as standardize the data.

Greetings,

Christian