Saturated Model

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
DUYAN
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: DUY

Saturated Model

Post by DUYAN »

Dear all;
I would be very grateful if you can explain me why the results obtained from saturated model are different from estimation model?
for example, in the saturated model, i have a link which is significant at 5% (path coefficient=1,77) while in the estimation model the same link is significant at 10% (path coefficient = 0,098).
I have 194 observations
I followed tow steps approach for analysis ( in the second step i used the latent variable scores).
Thanks in advance
plshelpme
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Sam Penny

Re: Saturated Model

Post by plshelpme »

Hi Duyan,

I am new to this, so if I am wrong somebody please correct me.

If I remember correctly, from Hair's book 'A primer on PLS...' the saturated model is a version of the structural model where all relationships are allowed to connect freely. It is used to obtain an estimation of the model fit – as you compare the saturated model with your estimated model. That key difference is probably why you have different values.

Have you assessed your model fit?
DUYAN
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: DUY

Post by DUYAN »

plshelpme wrote:Hi Duyan,

I am new to this, so if I am wrong somebody please correct me.

If I remember correctly, from Hair's book 'A primer on PLS...' the saturated model is a version of the structural model where all relationships are allowed to connect freely. It is used to obtain an estimation of the model fit – as you compare the saturated model with your estimated model. That key difference is probably why you have different values.

Have you assessed your model fit?
thank you for your response
I have a SRMR value of 0,064 and GoF of 0,541
I saturated the model to know if there is a significant path which is not taken into account in the original model.....
Last edited by DUYAN on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

The differentiation between saturated model and estimated model is only made for the model fit indices that operate on the complete covariance matrix. I don't understand how you can get different results for the path coefficients?
Did you saturate your model yourself? If yes, it is not suprising that you get different results as you have a different model. With a fully saturated model you might run into multicolllinearity problems, etc.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de