Need help determining sample size please

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
gardagh
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: George Ardagh

Need help determining sample size please

Post by gardagh »

Hi all,

I could really do with some help. A caveat is that I am a compete statistics newbie.
I have a questionnaire with 20 questions. I have 7 variables that these questions are indicators for. The variable with the most indicators has 4 indicators. The rest are 3 or 2. My research (hypthoses) is comparing the effect of one variable on the other 6.

I am struggling to get survey responses so am hoping to hit the minimum number required for analysis. A level of power equal to .80 would suffice.

I have attached some pictures from Smart pls but please let me know what other info you need.

any and all help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

George.
Attachments
reliability.PNG
reliability.PNG (16.9 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
f-square.PNG
f-square.PNG (20.22 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
boot_path.PNG
boot_path.PNG (53.84 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Need help determining sample size please

Post by jmbecker »

First, I would recommend using the G*Power Tool.
Second, I would recommend reading this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4009
Third, you may have a problem in determining your effect size as you have only one predictor for several depenent variables. Thus, using the estimated f² effect sizes from your current model does not help you as they are somewhat misleading (f² is the additional explained variance relative to the unexplained variance of the predictor; if you have only one predictor it is quite a strong effect as you compare against zero explanaition).
I would actually use a weak effect size to determine the minimum sample size (e.g., 0.02 ≤ f² < 0.15) in allmost every study to get a conservative estimate of the required sample size.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de