Age as a formative Indicator next to Likert scale-statement?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
HansDampf3000
PLS User
Real name and title: Robert Boomhoff

Age as a formative Indicator next to Likert scale-statement?

Post by HansDampf3000 »

Hello,

is it possible to use the respondents Age as a formative indicator beside some indicators measured on likert scales (all belonging to one latent construct)?
(Theory says that Age is important for the construct but i.a. also Knowledge which is measured via likert scale item)
If yes, is it appropriate to use the reciprocal value as the resulting "direction" would match the direction from the likert scale?

Kind regards,

HansDampf3000
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Age as a formative Indicator next to Likert scale-statem

Post by cringle »

2x Yes.

Metric data is even better than quasi-interval (e.g. Likert) scales. You can use a single item age construct and thereby control for age.

Best
CR
DetHeider
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Detlef Heider

Post by DetHeider »

Hello gentlemen,

I have similar problem with income. Is it correct on the picture? Why I need a extra construct and not make 4 indicators, 3 with likert 1 with income?

Greetings,

Det
Attachments
DetOffice1.png
DetOffice1.png (128.64 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

You can also have income (or age) as a formative indicator in the measurement model. Due to the routine standardization of indicator in PLS the metric of the variables can be quite different.
However, from a conceptual point of view, I would find it hard to conceptualize latent variables that contain income or age as components. Usually, age, income and other demographics are typically used as (separate) control variables. If you think that the conceptualization of the latent variable is not a problem in your case, you can add income or age also as indicators.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
DetHeider
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Detlef Heider

Post by DetHeider »

thank you dr Becker.
the theory says that my latent construct is determined by some skills (likert scales) and age. that is the reason why i want to look at age and all the other variables in one construct.
is that reasonable/justifying?

greetings,
Det