T-Values all 0.000

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
plshelpme
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Sam Penny

T-Values all 0.000

Post by plshelpme »

Hi there,

I have just done the following in Smartpls 3:

1) Ran the consistent PLS algorithm to examine the factor loading. It appears as though my factor loading is fine (pretty much all above 0.7).

2) Ran the consistent PLS algorithm to examine the path coefficients. Coefficients range between -0.1 and 0.6.

3) Ran consistent bootstrapping so that I could see the T-values, which would indicate whether the coefficients were significant

However, after running the consistent bootstrapping all my T-values have returned as 0.000. Also, for one of my latent factors, the T-values also returned as 0.000, despite very high factor loading (all above 0.85).

To give some context, I'm using the UTAUT2 model. 330 respondents, 5-point likert scale.

Could somebody tell me what's going on? This is my first time building the model.

Thank you,
Sam
plshelpme
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Sam Penny

Re: T-Values all 0.000

Post by plshelpme »

Update:

After building the model again from scratch and running everything the same there was no change.

However, after about 30 minutes of pacing around the library some (significant) T values appeared on my model. There seemed to have been a lengthy delay between running the bootstrapping and the t values appearing.

EDIT: T values only appear when using the 'Bootstrapping' setting and not the 'Consistent PLS Bootstrapping' setting

I've built another model, and this also seems to be the case again.

Can any developers advise on this?

Thanks,
Sam
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: T-Values all 0.000

Post by jmbecker »

The PLSc can produce extreme results during the bootstrapping routine if one (or several of the constructs) are not following the strict assumptions of factor models.
This is similar to the following discussion: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16119
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de