Interpretation of Fornell-Larcker Table

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
kchristy
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Katheryn Christy

Interpretation of Fornell-Larcker Table

Post by kchristy »

I understand that the criteria for demonstrating discriminant validity with the Fornell-Larcker criterion is that if the AVE is greater than the squared latent variable correlations, then an assumption of discriminant validity has been supported.

What I'm having difficulty with, however, is interpreting the Fornell-Larcker table in the SmartPLS discriminant validity output. I know the AVEs are along the diagonal, but are they the "pure" AVEs or the square root of the AVEs, given that the correlations below appear to be the raw correlations, not the squared correlations?
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Interpretation of Fornell-Larcker Table

Post by jmbecker »

SmartPLS 3 reports the square root of the AVEs along the diagonal and the "raw" correlation on the off-diagonal elements. If you compare the diagonal elements of the Fornel Larker table with the AVE values from the "Construct Reliability and Validity" table you can see the difference.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
kchristy
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Katheryn Christy

Post by kchristy »

Thank you so much! I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to be absolutely certain before I reported it.
Ingrid Snijders
PLS User
Real name and title: drs Ingrid Snijders

Post by Ingrid Snijders »

What does it mean when the correlation (not the square root of AVE) has a negative value?