SmartPLS 3 bootstrap cases and samples

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
zjali143
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mohamed Al-Zadjali - Msc Student - Sultan Qaboos University

SmartPLS 3 bootstrap cases and samples

Post by zjali143 »

Hello Everyone,
I was reading many guidelines where you do bootstrapping and you have to set the cases and samples. However, these two numbers seem to be together only in SmartPLS 2. in SmartPLS 3 bootstrapping, only Subsamples is available to set when you run the bootstrap. As per my understanding that "subsamples" in SmartPLS 3 is the same as "Samples" in SmartPLS 2. However, how can I set the "Cases" in SmartPLS 3 which seems no there anymore!

Regards,
Mohamed Al-Zadjali
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: SmartPLS 3 bootstrap cases and samples

Post by cringle »

Correct observation and interpretation! The number of cases per subsample must be identical to the number of observations in the original sample. For example, if the original sample has 344 observations, each bootstrap subsample must have 344 cases. Hence, we automatized the setting of this parameter this in SmartPLS 3 and you can only decide on the number of bootstrap subsamples (e.g., 500 or 5,000).

Kind regards
Christian Ringle
zjali143
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mohamed Al-Zadjali - Msc Student - Sultan Qaboos University

Post by zjali143 »

Thank you for the information. Appreciated.

Regards,
Mohamed Al-Zadjali
studentourism
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: John - Student

Post by studentourism »

Good Afternoon Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle,

If my original sample has 230 observation, in Smartpls v3 ->bootstrap subsample i have to write 230 cases? or 500 or 5000?

Regards,
John
cringle wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:07 am Correct observation and interpretation! The number of cases per subsample must be identical to the number of observations in the original sample. For example, if the original sample has 344 observations, each bootstrap subsample must have 344 cases. Hence, we automatized the setting of this parameter this in SmartPLS 3 and you can only decide on the number of bootstrap subsamples (e.g., 500 or 5,000).

Kind regards
Christian Ringle
Attachments
sample bootstrap.png
sample bootstrap.png (124.56 KiB) Viewed 6756 times