Neg. indicator weight + neg. path coeff -> pos. effect? ;)

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
HansDampf3000
PLS User
Real name and title: Robert Boomhoff

Neg. indicator weight + neg. path coeff -> pos. effect? ;)

Post by HansDampf3000 »

Hello,

I conducted a model with 3 exogenous formative constructs and one endogenous construct with two variables. After checking for Multicolineratity, I also checked Indicator weights (significance) and loadings (weights and significance) and removed 13 from 29 indicators, 10 items are significant (recommendation according to Hair 2017). From these 13 formative indicators 5 (4),6 (4 sign) and 2 (2 sign.) per construct are left. Among the 5 and 6 indicator constructs there is always one negative item.
Since all VIF values are below the value of 2 I interpret this according to Cenfettili "The negative weight can then be interpreted as follows: when xxx, yyy and tangibles are otherwise equal, increased amounts of NEGATIVE INDICATOR will reduce the degree of CONSTRUCT".
However, to my question: Can i interpret the NEGATIVE (significant) INDICATOR in combination with a NEGATIVE (significant) PATH WEIGHT, e.g. that an increased amount of NEGATIVE INDICATOR together with the NEGATIVE PATHCOEFFICIENT leads to A POSITIVE EFFEKT / an increase of my dependent Variables (an Investment-sum and a number of measures)? And are 2 items for a reflective goal construct are okay? Do i have to do the multiple checks for my goal construct, too?

I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you!

HANSDAMPF3000
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Neg. indicator weight + neg. path coeff -> pos. effect?

Post by jmbecker »

Generally, the interpretation of negative weight * negative path coefficient --> positive effect is correct. However, I would also check the loading of the indicator with the construct (i.e., the bivariate correlation). Is that also negative? Does it make sense that this indicator has a negative effect on the construct? Sometimes already subtle collinearity patterns (with low VIFs) can cause strange sign changes in regressions. I would always carefull evaluate if the effect is plausible.

Two indicators for a final construct are possible. Whether this is a good meaurement of your construct, however, is always a case-by-case decision.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
HansDampf3000
PLS User

Post by HansDampf3000 »

Hello and thank you, Dr. Becker!
jmbecker wrote:Generally, the interpretation of negative weight * negative path coefficient --> positive effect is correct. However, I would also check the loading of the indicator with the construct (i.e., the bivariate correlation). Is that also negative? Does it make sense that this indicator has a negative effect on the construct? Sometimes already subtle collinearity patterns (with low VIFs) can cause strange sign changes in regressions. I would always carefull evaluate if the effect is plausible.
Unfortunately i don't have the data by my side at the moment, but if the weights and the loadings are negative, does this mean i can interpret it the way I did (a negative effect on the construct)? or what does a co-occurance of a negative (positive) weight and a positive (negative) loading mean? how should one interpret such a case? or should i delete the respective item?
Asked in an easier was: should both values be negative for a negative Interpretation? And what should be done if only one of Botz values is negative?
My VIFs are btw all below 2.
jmbecker wrote:Two indicators for a final construct are possible. Whether this is a good meaurement of your construct, however, is always a case-by-case decision.
My final construct consists out of a number of measures (value 1) and an investment sum (value 2) (are differnt scales okay within one construct?). since both stand for the extent of measures a person delivered I characterized this construct as reflective. Unfortunately the cronbachs alpha is with 0.5 quite low - or is this an acceptable value if there are only 2 items? (all other values for reflective constructs are okay)
If this value is not okay and since the investment sum can be influenced by other measures than those i added up to get value 1, would it be okay to form 2 goal constructs with one dependent variable each whereas the 3 exogenous predictors are at the same time connected with endogenous construct a) with value 1 and endogenous construct b) with value 2?

I really appreciate your help!

Kind regards,
HansDampf3000
HansDampf3000
PLS User

Post by HansDampf3000 »

In the attachment is a picture of my oughter weights (left) and loadings (right) + the respective VIFs (all below 2,1)
At some items the loadings as well as the weights are negative, sometimes only the loadings or the weights (???)
How can this be interpret? Do all 5 items have a negative effect on the constructs? or only those where the loadings as well as the weights are negative?

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by HansDampf3000 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansDampf3000
PLS User

Post by HansDampf3000 »

Is there nobody who can help me and tell me how to interpret negative weights (and/or) negative loadings?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Please check the correlation matrix of indicators. Are they all positive? If not, it may be a data problem or you need to rescale/recode the indicators.

Best
CR