Using Fit indices ex-post?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
janschreier
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Jan Schreier

Using Fit indices ex-post?

Post by janschreier »

Hi there,

can I use the FIMIX fit indices such as AIC in ex-post analyses?
E. g. I have my overall sample and split it by gender. Then I run FIMIX with 1 segment for the overall-group and for both gender groups and compare the AIC-values. If the AIC is lower for both gender-groups compared to the overall group, I have an improvement by splitting the overall data-set into subgroups or am I violating any requirements using this approach?

Thanks for comments/references.

br, Jan
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Using Fit indices ex-post?

Post by cringle »

Sounds good. But you may also consider the relative sample size, EN and, more important than AIC, the AIC_3 and BIC/CAIC criteria.

Please take a look at these articles:

Hair, J.F./ Sarstedt, M./ Matthews, L./ Ringle, C.M.: Identifying and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Part I - Method, in: European Business Review, Volume 28 (2016), Issue 1, pp. 63-76.

Matthews, L./ Sarstedt, M./ Hair, J.F./ Ringle, C.M.: Identifying and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Part II – A Case Study, in: European Business Review, Volume 28 (2016), Issue 2, pp. 208-224.

Sarstedt, M./ Becker, J.-M./ Ringle, C.M./ Schwaiger, M.: Uncovering and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Which Model Selection Criterion Provides an Appropriate Number of Segments?, in: Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), Volume 63 (2011), Issue 1, pp. 34-62.

Sarstedt, M./ Ringle, C.M./ Gudergan, S.P.: Guidelines for Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity in Tourism Research: A Comment on Marques and Reis (2015), in: Annals of Tourism Research, 57 (2016), March, pp. 279-284.

Best
Christian