Redundancy analysis for second order formative construct

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
akhyari
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Akhyari Nasir

Redundancy analysis for second order formative construct

Post by akhyari »

Hi everyone,
I am looking for articles on redundancy analysis for second order formative construct using smartpls. I have several reflective first order constructs and this means it is a type II reflective-formative relationship. I have read some articles and book especially by J.M Becker et al 2012 and Hair et al. 2014 but there is no specific explanation on how to analyze that. Thank you very much.
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Redundancy analysis for second order formative construct

Post by cringle »

Since 2nd order constructs usually are multidimensional, this kind of analysis does not work for 2nd order constructs.

Best regards
Christian Ringle
iputu.ariyasa
PLS Senior User
Real name and title: I Putu Ariyasa, ST.

Post by iputu.ariyasa »

cringle wrote:Since 2nd order constructs usually are multidimensional, this kind of analysis does not work for 2nd order constructs.

Best regards
Christian Ringle

Dear Sir,

I am actually having the same question as the OP.
So based on your reply, should we just skip redundancy analysis for the second-order construct?

Best regards
I Putu Ariyasa
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

A second-order construct itself already is very difficult to establish and to justify content-wise; here it's multidimensional content may consist of the lower order constructs (it is what you define) and no additional tests may be needed.

Best
CR
iputu.ariyasa
PLS Senior User

Post by iputu.ariyasa »

cringle wrote:A second-order construct itself already is very difficult to establish and to justify content-wise; here it's multidimensional content may consist of the lower order constructs (it is what you define) and no additional tests may be needed.

Best
CR
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your reply.

I've read from Becker et. al. (2012) that researchers should assess the appropriateness of the higher-order constructs with measurement obtained from the relations between higher-order construct and lower-order constructs. The assessment should match the conceptual properties of the construct (i.e., reflective or formative).
now that based on your previous reply, redundancy analysis is skippable, is there any other assessment that can be skipped too on the formative second-order construct?

Becker, Jan-Michael, Kristina Klein, and Martin Wetzels. "Hierarchical latent variable models in PLS-SEM: guidelines for using reflective-formative type models." Long Range Planning 45.5 (2012): 359-394.

Best regards
I Putu Ariyasa
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

No. But you should really critically ask yourself why you need a 2nd order construct instead of estimating the direct effects from all lower-order constructs to the target construct.

Best
CR
iputu.ariyasa
PLS Senior User

Post by iputu.ariyasa »

cringle wrote:No. But you should really critically ask yourself why you need a 2nd order construct instead of estimating the direct effects from all lower-order constructs to the target construct.

Best
CR
Thank you very much for your suggestion, i'll do that.

Best regards
I Putu Ariyasa
ulaila
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Umm-e-Laila mehdi

Post by ulaila »

I am using a HOC full formative. its means I can skip the redundancy analysis test( Convergent validity).
will it possible to have any reference so that I can refer them in my paper