interpreting indirect and direct effects

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
naime
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Finance PhD student in Bilkent University, Naime Usul

interpreting indirect and direct effects

Post by naime »

Hi to all!

I have a model, with 3 independent variables mediated by one variable. While drawing the paths, I did not specify direct paths from these independent variables to the dependent variable, because the literature suggests the effects of these variables are mediated by the mediator variable. So, the literature says that any increase in one of the independent variables will increase the mediator and hence it can effect the dependent variable.

However, even though I did not specify direct paths, the results report both direct and indirect effects. And some of the direct paths from the independent variables to the dependent variable (which I did not specify in the first place), are significant.

How should I interpret the results? Does it mean that the mediator did not fully mediate the independent variables? Shall I report them even though I did not draw these direct paths in the model?

Quick answer is highly appreciated? Please help m, I have nobody to ask nearby :(
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: interpreting indirect and direct effects

Post by cringle »

This discussion may be a good start: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16031&p=26631#p26631

Best CR