high path coefficients but not significant

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
C. Freese
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

high path coefficients but not significant

Post by C. Freese »

Hallo,

I am a PLS beginner and I have a question about my model. There is one high path coefficients (0,677) which did not turn out to be significant during Bootstrapping, although there are others with a lower value which are high significant. does that make sense? Or does this finding indicate that I did a mistake?

Thanks,
Claudia
quant
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by quant »

Hi Claudia,

this is not a PLS-specific issue. It is due to the parameter estimate's (which is a random variable!) standard error. The higher the standard error, the smaller the t-value given the same estimated parameter value. Have a look at the "formula" of a t-statistic. If the confidence interval (say the .95 interval) of the parameter contains zero, it is regarded as insignificant, regardless of its value.

Best regards,
Christian
stephan.kramer
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by stephan.kramer »

Christian is right with his conclusions, although with a path coefficient of 0,677 the standard errors must be very high to prevent this result to become significant. Did you adjust the settings for sample size? You might also consider using a different sign change option: No sign changes is the most conservative method, while individual changes normally reduces standard errors quite significantly.

Best regards, Stephan