Second order factor

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
ATDIAS
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Second order factor

Post by ATDIAS »

How could I model a second order factor (latent variable) in Smartpls?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

second order factor: if this is supposed to be a latent variable in the structural model that has no indicators, it is not possible to model and calculate such models in SmartPLS.

Best
Christian
stefanbehrens
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

An alternative way for second order factors

Post by stefanbehrens »

CHIN recommends the following procedure:
Simply assign to the 2nd order LV all the indicators of the 1st order LVs belonging to that 2nd order LV.
Maybe that helps...
Cheers,
Stefan

Note: LV - Latent Variable
joerghenseler
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by joerghenseler »

True.

However, I think it we should leave the honor to the person who first suggested this approach. Actually it was Wold (1982), who suggested to re-use the indicators. He called it "hierarchical structure".
ATDIAS
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Hierarquical structure

Post by ATDIAS »

Please, in order to improve my knowledge, what is the reference of Wold(1982) and how can I get it?
awill
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title:

Post by awill »

Hi!

I suppose Wold (1982) means:

viewtopic.php?p=360#360
panhans
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

How to implement repeated manifest variable method in sPLS?

Post by panhans »

... just for clarification: Does that mean for example that my two 1st-order LVs (each formatively measured by two sets of indicators) have only paths towards a 2nd-order LV (that is simultaneously formatively measured by the combined set of the same indicators) that in turn has paths towards endogeneous LVs?
rmerz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

second order models

Post by rmerz »

I have run second order models in PLS using a slightly different approach. Try merging the first order LV scores back into the original data and then create a new model using the first order LVs as indicators of a new second order LV. Construct the rest of the model as was done in the original first order model--of course, leaving out the two first order LVs that are now indicators.

So, for example, if you have two first order LVs that are more highly correlated with each other than with a common target LV, combining them as indicators of a second order LV will help control the resulting multicollinearity and stabilize the estimates. If necessary, the weights can then be considered the impacts of the first order LVs onto the second order LV.

Russ
Russ Merz, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Marketing
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI USA 48197
russ.merz@emich.edu
panhans
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by panhans »

Dear Russ, many thanks for your help. Your recommendation intuitively makes sense to me. Do you know whether I can also quote this approach from some article? Best, Dirk
rmerz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

second order models

Post by rmerz »

Dirk,

I am aware of two articles that have mentioned this approach (there are probably others):

Chin, Wynn and Abhijit Gopal (1995) "Adoption Intention in GSS: Relative Importance of Beliefs," Data Base Advances, Vol 26, Nos, 2&3 (May/August) 42-63.

Bagozzi, Richard (1985) "Expectancy-Value Attitude Models: An Analysis of Critical Theoretical Issues," International Journal of Marketing Research, Vol 2, 43-60.

Also--the correct way to calculate the path coefficient of the first order LV onto the second order LV is to multiply the first order path coefficient times the second order weight.

I hope this is helpful.

Russ
Russ Merz, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Marketing
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI USA 48197
russ.merz@emich.edu
ghozali
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Prof. Imam Ghozali, Ph.D

Post by ghozali »

Hi,
Second order factor can be estimated using the repeated indicators approach, also known as the hierarchical component model suggested by Wold (cf. Lohmoller, 1989).

Let say the second order latent construct is measured with two first order component measures, C1 and C2. The component measure are further measured with two item measures each - component C1 is measured with item I1 and I2 whereas component C2 is measured with item I3 and I4.

In the repeated indicators approach, the item measures I1,I2,I3 and I4 are used twice: once for measuring the first order component measures C1 and C2, and then again for measuring the second order latent construct that is also measured by the first order component. I have done this using Smart PLS and the result is fine.

Best regards,

Prof. Dr. Imam Ghozali
Faculty of Economics
Diponegoro University, Indonesia
Faculty of Economics, Diponegoro University
Jl. Erlangga Tengah 17 Semarang, Indonesia
ghozali_imam@yahoo.com
nielsvanq
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by nielsvanq »

Hi there

I tried to reconstruct the repeated indicators approach but I cannot make it work in SmartPLS. The program refuses to draw the connection line between the second order LV and the MVs which are already connected to the first order LV.

How can one do it in SmartPLS?

Thx

Regards
Niels
panhans
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by panhans »

... I just added the same MVs to the model a second time and connected this second set to the 2nd-order LVs.

Best,
Dirk
stefan0603
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by stefan0603 »

--- and then: I am just wondering if the path coefficients from the first-order LVs to the second-order LV may be neglected? And the only path coefficient which counts is the one from the second-order LV to another exog. LV?

Am I right or do the path coefficients have to be somehow multiplied?

Many thanks,
Stefan
rpelz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

second order factor

Post by rpelz »

How about using summated scales of the 1st-order LV as indicators for the 2nd-order LV (usually employed in regression or ANOVA anlysis)?