Second order factor

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
sare177
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

formative or reflective items in second-order constructs

Post by sare177 »

Hello,

are there any restrictions on second order constructs regarding the use of formative or reflective items?

I am trying to develop two exogene second order constructs using the "hierarchical component method (Wold1982)", as described earlier in this forum, in order to reduce the complexity of my model. One second-order construct will consist of three reflective first-order constructs. One second-order construct consists of 5 formative first-order-constructs.

Is there any literature known concerning the use of formative and reflective items in second order constructs?

Thanks and regards,

Sandro
bubach
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by bubach »

Additional to Sandro's question:
Does it make sense to build a second-order construct that consist of reflective first-order construct as well as formative first-order constructs?
Does anybody know some hints in the literature?

I really appreciate your help!
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

second order construct output

Post by viswadatta »

I tried repeating indicators and second and third constructs work just fine, but I am not able to get reliability and quality figures for the second order constructs? This is available in visual PLS. How do I infer the quality parameters for a second or higher order construct

Regards

Vivek
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

check also this link (found it via the search function of this forum): viewtopic.php?t=145&start=0&postdays=0& ... econdorder

You find all possible 2nd-order-schemes there. Spread and collect basically mean reflective formative.

Best regards
Christian
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

Dear Vivek,
but I am not able to get reliability and quality figures for the second order constructs?
Do you mean in SmartPLS? This post is somehow misleading, because SmartPLS provides all in literature thus far established evaluation criteria - also for 2nd order constructs. There are reliability indicators - just press on the button to generate a results report and check "overview" in the list of results.
This is available in visual PLS. How do I infer the quality parameters for a second or higher order construct
I am not a Visual PLS user. What kind of quality statistics does Visual PLS deliver? Can you specify and explain the criteria and computation procedures? Is the software finally bug free? - I heard about serious problems especially regarding moderating effects and 2nd order constructs.

Best regards
Christian
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

second order constructs

Post by viswadatta »

Thanks for the reply Christian

By quality factors I mean the reliability, communality, ave and composit reliability. These factors are not available for the second order construct when I repeat the indicators.

VisualPLS gives reliability, ave and composite reliability, but not the communality. The html report also gives the graphical model, this makes the report more appealing, but the diagram is nowhere near as good to look at as in smartPLS. However the data entry is much easier as it follows a SPSS style variable entry format which makes variable entry a bit faster. VisualPLS does not allow repeating of indicators for constructs.

Regards

Vivek
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

Dear Vivek,

thanks for your reply.
By quality factors I mean the reliability, communality, ave and composit reliability. These factors are not available for the second order construct when I repeat the indicators.
I thought you were referring to new evaluation criteria.
However, I am a little bit confused though. The criteria you mention are certainly provided in the SmartPLS results tables. You look at the report as I described above.

Best regards
Christian
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

second order constructs

Post by viswadatta »

Yes Sir

I checked the reports again. I am not able to find the quality criteria. I am only getting the R squared values, but not alpha, ave and composite reliability. Can you check it out and let me know?

Regards

Vivek
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

Well Vivek,

this is the report for an example with success as 2nd order construct:

Code: Select all

AVE	Composite Reliability	R Square	Cronbachs Alpha	Communality	Redundancy
  Costs	 0,4	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,4	          	
Quality	 0,5	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,5	          	
Success	 0,4	                  0,9	     0,6	            0,9	        0,4	       0,1	
   Time	 0,5	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,5	          	
Do you run SmartPLS in version M3? Do you use a reflective measurment model for the 2nd-order construct (otherwise you certainly do not obtain the criteria that you mentioned)?
Best regards
Christian
Dorana
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

where are the z-values of factor scores?

Post by Dorana »

Hi there,

I am measuring with second order models and plan to fix the factor scores to their higher construct. But, where can I find these z-values within PLS to create a new datafile to run 3 different cluster in PLS?

Do they differ from Factor score within SPSS (weighted mean of construct items)?

best regards

Doreen
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

in default report you will find

LV scores = standardized ( z scores)

LV score (unstandardized)
(same scales as the indicators)

Best regards.

Bido
Dorana
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Dorana »

Hi Dr. Ringle,

Have I understand you right, that if I do not use reflective factor scores for my second-order construct, there would not be results for AVE etc. like that:

this is the report for an example with success as 2nd order construct:

Code: Select all

AVE	Composite Reliability	R Square	Cronbachs Alpha	Communality	Redundancy
  Costs	 0,4	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,4	          	
Quality	 0,5	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,5	          	
Success	 0,4	                  0,9	     0,6	            0,9	        0,4	       0,1	
   Time	 0,5	                  0,9	        	            0,8	        0,5	          	

Well, I do have the same question. If I run formative relations from first order construct to second order constructs, I could not find any indicators of fits (alpha, AVE etc.)

best regards and thank you and all other respondents reading that very much in advance

Doreen