Moderating variable

This forum is closed, and read-only.
soleimanileila24
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: sileimanileila

Moderating variable

Post by soleimanileila24 »

Hello
I am using smartpls software for thesis modeling.
before adding moderating variable , results of bootstrapping show that there are significant relationship between dependent and independent variable(T statistics of coefficient is more than 1.96 and hypothesis are accepted.), but after adding moderating variable in my model and after running bootstrapping, results show that there are not significant relationship between dependent and independent variable (T statistics of coefficient between dependent and independent variables is less than 1.96 so my hypothesis should be rejected). what does it mean?
is it necessary to consider relationship between dependent and independent variable after adding moderating variable or just considering moderating variable's coefficient is enough?my model is first order reflective, second order formative.
thank you in advence.
leila
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Moderating variable

Post by cringle »

What you observed can happen. The moderator analysis changes the coefficients in your original model but also changes the interpretation. You may want to take a look at the moderation chapter in the PLS-SEM book:
https://www.smartpls.com/documentation/ ... on-pls-sem

Best
Christian