Cannot open SPLSM or Project file

This forum is closed, and read-only.
js459
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Cannot open SPLSM or Project file

Post by js459 »

My version of Smart PLS became corrupt for some reason and I can no longer open it. I re-installed it but I cannot open my saved data (Project File and SPLSM files). What is the proper way to open these files? When I try to import these files from Smart PLS, the files do not show up because they are SPLSM files. Again, how can I retrieve the project I was working on? I do not want to recreate a model and import all of my data again. Thank you.
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

I think you incorrect save file project. It's just icon splm only, thus you cannot open it.
Just for tips, after your close program, select save. SmartPLS automatic save you project (model + data) in PLS resource in program.

Regards,
Hengky
js459
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by js459 »

Thank you for your reply. I saved every time I closed my file. I am not sure why it saved it as a SPLSM file. What is that type of file? Why would it save that as that extension? Is there a way to convert to just the SPLS file? Thank you for your help!

[/img]
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

After you ran bootstrap and close program, show option save or no, click save.
Your project model + data automatic save in SmartPLS program, not file external OK.

Best Regards,
Hengky
sivam
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Associate Professor Siva Muthaly

Re: Cannot open SPLSM or Project file

Post by sivam »

I am not able to bring my splsm file into smartpls. I am trying to retrieve my old project files.

When I try to import the project - it does not allow me to click the file. The file is just not highlighted.

I have a licensed smartpls which works on my Mac.

This may be a trivial issue, but i am unable to open the old project.

I would really appreciate some of the "Gurus" to assist me.

Thank you.

sivam
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Supposedly, all the old project you've saved automatically in the program along with the data used SmartPLS, when you close the program and choose yes. I do not understand why you keep it in SPLSM format, but this can not be opened, because only an icon (1KB), not to save the project file.

Greetings,
lisuhuang
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Li-Su Huang, Assistant Professor

Post by lisuhuang »

I have the same problem with not being able to read the saved file with X.splsm.
Can the saved file be found in other files in my computer?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

SmartPLS saves the projects in the workspace folder which you can select when running the SmartPLS software (see –> “File “-> “Switch Workspace”). For example:
c:\program files\SmartPLS\workspace

In this workspace folders are folders for every single project that you created. For example:
C:\Program Files\SmartPLS\workspace\ecsi
You can find the ecsi project example here: https://www.smartpls.com/documentation/index

Every project as at least two files: (1) The model (e.g., ecsi.splsm) and (2) the data set (e.g., mobi250.csv). These two files are stored in the ecsi workspace folder:
C:\Program Files\SmartPLS\workspace\ecsi

It is not possible to only import the splsm file. This is the model without data.

If you like to import the ecsi project from an existing workspace, run SmartPLS 3 and use the -> “File” -> “Import Projects from a Folder” option. After left-clicking on the “Browser button”, a browser opens and allows you to navigate to your workspace folder, for example
C:\Program Files\SmartPLS\workspace\

After pressing the “OK” button, you see a list of projects that are stored in the workspace folder. For example, ecsi.

Select the project and import it. After importing the project, it appears in your SmartPLS workspace.

An alternative that we strongly recommend to use is the “Export Project” and “Import Project” function that is built in SmartPLS 2 and 3. When you export a project, SmartPLS creates a splsp file (when using SmartPLS 2) or a zip file (when using SmartPLS 3) that includes the entire project with its models and data sets. For example: ecsi.splsp when using SmartPLS 2 or ecsi.zip when using SmartPLS 3. After exporting this project and saving it on your computer device, you can run SmartPLS 3 and use the -> “File” -> “Import Project from Backup File” option to import the project. SmartPLS 3 can import both splsp and zip file project. For example: ecsi.splsp or ecsi.zip. After importing the project, it appears in your SmartPLS workspace.
lisuhuang
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Li-Su Huang, Assistant Professor

Post by lisuhuang »

Thanks very much for Prof. Ringle's detailed information.
It's very helpful and let me find the project that I've re-developed for a couple of times.
I appreciate it so much.

Best regards,
Lisu
Pascal
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Pascal Kottemann

Post by Pascal »

I am currently working on a SEM-project with SmartPLS 3.0. Unfortunately, my co-authors are working with SmartPLS 2.0 and are not able to open neither the exported .zip-file nor the .splsm-file on their computer. Is there any solution how my co-authors can use the project file I have created in SmartPLS 3.0?

Thanks very much in advance for your support!