indicators and data

This forum is closed, and read-only.
youyouyou
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

indicators and data

Post by youyouyou »

Hi all

I installed GDI+ and JSE on my computer.
But when I want to import my own excel data saved as CSV forms, no indicator listed at all. and even in front of the indicator data has a red question mark.

While I tried to use the example data (mobil 250 data), the quesion mark disppear, I can see the indicator, but it shows yellow warning mark in front of it.

Most imporant, nothing of the project has the branch as daten shows as the illustraion example.

eargerly hope get help. tks
awill
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title:

Post by awill »

Hi,

if an imported data set is marked with a red symbol, this indicates that (1) SmartPLS could not automatically detect the delimiter or that (2) the file contains non-numeric characters. Non-numeric characters are only allowed (and even needed to define the indicator names) in the header row of a data file.

By double-clicking on a data file, the CSV editor tool is started. This tool gives you the possibility to manually choose the delimiter. You also get a preview of what the import would look like if the chosen delimiter is used (this preview is limited to the first two rows of the data file). The validate button then performs various checks and offers you detailled information of what's wrong with the data file.

We currently recommend to use Excel to create data files for SmartPLS. If you save a sheet in the *.txt format (tabulator-delimited), the import into SmartPLS will be unproblematic.

Best,

Alex
noshua
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

import not working either

Post by noshua »

I have used the CSV editor tool in Smart PLS. I have tried saving my data in Excel as CSV, txt and everything else. It simply doesn't work. This is frustrating and a waste of my time.
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi Noshua,
usually the problem is string or space in the data set.
If there are missing values, it is recommended that you solve this before importing to SmartPLS (listwise, mean replacing...)
If this is not the problem, try to solve it as Alex had said above.
Best regards,
Bido
noshua
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by noshua »

1) I have removed all strings and spaces
2) there are no missing values
3) I have changed my system delimiter to semicolon
4) I have saved my data in Excel as txt
5) I have checked the end of the file in a text editor to make sure that there aren't any extra spaces, commas, semicolons etc.

Whenever I attempt to load the data, Smart PLS either says that there is an unusual error and sends a log file to the developers or requires me to use the CSV editor. When I use the CSV editor, I select the delimiter, I note the missing value indicator. I press Validate and wait and nothing happens.

I have tried to import my data for more than one week. I have sent several of the error message log files and nothing has been fixed. I was been pointed to this software by top researchers who have mentioned this software in their journal articles. I had hoped to use it and cite it in my research, but this is ridiculous and extremely disappointing.
carla.kaestner
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

How to work with non-numeric strings?

Post by carla.kaestner »

Dear PLS-Team and especially Mr Will who posted least about this topic:
my data includes non-nummeric strings (for defining the case/person and some qualitative answers). Is there a possibility to exclude the appropriate rows or do i have to work around and delete them in my original data file? i feel pretty uncomfortable by deleting one of my most important information even if i save it in a separate file ;)
thank you for answering
carla