"Workspace in use"

This forum is closed, and read-only.
kesharpe
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

"Workspace in use"

Post by kesharpe »

Hello!

I downloaded SmartPLS about a year ago, and used it successfully several times. I have just reactivated it with my license key successfully, but now I am experiencing the following problem:

When I start the program, it asks me to select a workspace. Then when I click OK, it gives the error "Workspace in use, choose a different one." This happens for every workspace I choose, and I even created a new folder.

Has this happened to anyone before? How can I fix this problem and use the software?

Thank you for your help!!
charliemd
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Workspace in use

Post by charliemd »

Windows will not allow you to modify (or use) the Program File directory or any of its subdirectories.

To solve the problem, create a new folder in any directory other than Program Files and use the newly created folder as the workspace folder. For example, create a new workspace folder (WSpace) in My Documents then when you startup SmartPLS, select WSpace from My Documents as the workspace directory.

CharlieMD
Julia
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

workspace in use - opening old project

Post by Julia »

Hi,
I have had the same problem, and now, based on your recommendation managed to open up a new project. However, I cannot find the old projects, that I created a couple of months ago, again. Where can I find them?
Help, ...are ways I can get them back ?
Thanks, ...
NielsPulles
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by NielsPulles »

Hi Julia,

I had the same problem. Did you install SmartPLS in a network folder? I did that and then got the same message as you got. Then I just used the Zip-file and unpacked in a folder on my desktop (so a local folder, not on a network drive). That worked perfectly, hope this helps...
elianacarraca
PLS User
Real name and title:

which zip-file?

Post by elianacarraca »

NielsPulles wrote:Hi Julia,

I had the same problem. Did you install SmartPLS in a network folder? I did that and then got the same message as you got. Then I just used the Zip-file and unpacked in a folder on my desktop (so a local folder, not on a network drive). That worked perfectly, hope this helps...

Hi Niels,

I believe I have the same problem and that it is related to network problems, but I don't understand why this happened since I have not installed it again, but I actually updated my key... perhaps I did that at the university and thus linked to their network....

I did not understand your solution.... which zip file are you talking about? Where can I find it? Could you explain your procedure better, please?

This is a bit urgent, since I need to submit an abstract by the end of the 14th marsh, and I need to perform a few more analysis.. and my project disappeared.... If you could help me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Eliana Carraça
anugrah
PLS User
Real name and title:

Re: Workspace in use

Post by anugrah »

charliemd wrote:Windows will not allow you to modify (or use) the Program File directory or any of its subdirectories.

To solve the problem, create a new folder in any directory other than Program Files and use the newly created folder as the workspace folder. For example, create a new workspace folder (WSpace) in My Documents then when you startup SmartPLS, select WSpace from My Documents as the workspace directory.

CharlieMD
Thats that trick..we can use this trick, n it works.
Thanx for charlie.. ^_^
svo
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by svo »

Found another samll trick: don't open smart via the SmartPLS button, rather open a saved study in your folder (open with smart).

It helps in my case
Stefan
StevetS
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by StevetS »

I had the same problem, which was resolved for me after moving my workspace directory out of my dropbox synchronised folder three.
Taolin
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Re: "Workspace in use"

Post by Taolin »

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same problem, but copying the workspace to another directory did not work. So I am posting here. I use SmartPLS 2.0.

I need to revise a model for a journal article which I ran about 1 year ago. However, eventhough I define the correct work space folder and this folder contains all the project folders, all my old projects are not displayed in SmartPLS and cannot be opened. However, I can create new projects and the respective folders for the new projects are then created in the exact same work space folder like all the old projects folders are in.

So how can I make SmartPLS to also show the old projects?

Best,
Matthias