problem with loading data in smartPLS

This forum is closed, and read-only.
sjoerdprins
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

problem with loading data in smartPLS

Post by sjoerdprins »

hello,

I have worked with Smart PLS before and never experienced any problems, a great program. However, currently I am trying to import data from SPSS into smart PLS. I saved the data in CSV and then I made sure that all the variable entities in the first row were text. Moreover, all the data is filled with numbers, even missing values are changed into -999.

The error is as follows: "340: The dataset 340 has 211 columns, but there are 212 indicators in total."

I checked this problem but all the indicators (indeed 212) have data. I do not understand what to do next or how to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sjoerd Prins
perfecto
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by perfecto »

Hello,

I had this problem once, too - I'm not quite sure anymore what exactly the problem was but it had something to do with the data sets (rows) having an ID as first column or "ID" was listed in the first row (the one with the inicator names) as indicator. So you might want to check the datafile...

Regards,
Björn
sjoerdprins
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by sjoerdprins »

hai Bjorn.

Thanks for your comment. I checked all of that, but unfortunately this didn't work. Anybody else any suggestions?
sjoerdprins
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

problem solved

Post by sjoerdprins »

thanks for the help, problem is solved
Katya
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Same problem

Post by Katya »

Hi I am trying 2.0 M3 version of SmartPLS, however when importing a csv file with missing data values I am receiving the same error messages regarding the number of columns different to indicator count. I have checked the first row indicators do not contain an indicator called "ID"
So I am at a loss as to what the problem is, any ideas?

I have tried substituting -1.0 where all the missing data are and reimporting and it is only after validating clicking on "Save all" closing and re-opening the application I can only get the indicators to be listed in the indicator window by double clicking on the splsm leaf in the workspace tree, just clicking without the Save and close leaves the indicator empty.

Regards,
Katerina
GuidoB
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by GuidoB »

I also regularly encounter this problem and in my case the problem is normally solved when I make sure that all values in the data set have the same number of decimal places. (You can do this by opening the .csv data file with Excel and setting the number of decimal places through Format Cells.)

Best regards,
Guido
alan_scott
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by alan_scott »

Just make sure that you have not formatted your ID variable to have a comma separator when it gets into the 1000's ... otherwise the package will think you have one more column of data than you actually have.
Shahriar
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Solution for a problem

Post by Shahriar »

May i know why did it happen? Also, the easiest way to solve this problem.