Analyzing financing decisions

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Hammer
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Analyzing financing decisions

Post by Hammer »

Dear all,

I wonder if I can use PLS to analyze financing decisions of companies, especially the use of the US market. I have data of about 7000 company years (1998-2006). I have some indicators to measure the “attractiveness” of a capital market (this would be one latent variable). These indicators have often the same values for all companies during one year. And I have indicators to measure the need of capital for firms. Here each firm year has specific different values.
Finally I can measure the amount of capital which each firm raises in a particular year at US markets. The values are often “0” cause not so many companies in my sample raise money in the US annually. And the values can be up to 2000 (in million US-$).
I mostly read about the use of PLS in marketing where the sources of data are interviews. Do you think a path model can be used for the mention data? Do I maybe have to create categories for the risen capital instead of using the “real” values?
Thanks a lot!

Cheers Jan
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi Jan,
PLS could manage this kind of data (sometimes PLS is refered as soft modeling) because it hasn't assumptions about the data distribution.
Best regards.
Bido