Different cross loadings in SmartPLS and SPSS

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
pmartin
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Different cross loadings in SmartPLS and SPSS

Post by pmartin »

I am a first time user of SmartPLS. I started with purifying my measurement model with SPSS and then used them as input to SmartPLS. When I run my model I noticed SmartPLS generates a completely different set of factor loadings for each construct. I traced my data, it is exactly the same as I used in SPSS. I do not have any missing values. Even one has a negative loading (0.93 in SPSS vs. -0.54 in SmartPLS)

To cross-check I calculated cross loadings (using LV scores from SmartPLS) with the excel template posted by Dr. Behrens a couple years ago: it generated the same cross loadings as SPSS.

I have checked previous posts on this problem and it was suggested that it is a user induced problem and these data should be the same. I seem to eliminate user-related errors. Does anyone have an idea on what could be the problem?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

please be more specific what you are computing in SPSS and comparing to SmartPLS outcomes. Why should SPSS factor loadings (please explain which method you apply) similar to PLS path modeling results.

Best
Christian