I can't upload my data, despite saving it as csv.

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Priyankafox
PLS Senior User
Real name and title: Ms Priyanka

I can't upload my data, despite saving it as csv.

Post by Priyankafox »

Hey everyone,

I keep getting the same message when I try to upload my data csv file onto SmartPLS 3.0:
Your datafile setup is corrupt. Please open the data file and revise the setup.

I used -99 for missing values. When I upload the file, I change the missing value marker to -99.

However nothing happens.

If i dont add anything to the missing value marker, it doesn't change anything - I still keep getting the corrupt message.

I'm such a novice.

I don''t know what I have done wrong.

I'm using 7 point likert scales.

There are 34 items.

Out of which 6 are demographic items.

On spss I change all my items to ordinal and nominal accordingly.

For the -99, I manually inserted it where there were "." on spss as they were not that many missing values.

I recoded any items that were reversed coded.

Then I saved the spss file to csv format.

Any idea how to get this to work?

:'(

After all this.
Priyankafox
PLS Senior User

Re: I can't upload my data, despite saving it as csv.

Post by Priyankafox »

I also want to ask, does it make a significant difference if you save your data on spss as csv

Scenario 1: What if someone does all the data cleaning on SPSS and copies all the data to excel and then saves to csv?

Scenarior 2: And say you have past data that you have already used on SmartPLS 3.0. Say this past data you look at directly on excel csv file and add -99 on missing values on the csv.

Will this worrk?

I was wondering out loud how important it is to have to save on spss the csv file (which i have in my case) and then open your past data on spss. Is using excel directly after you are done with data cleaning- an issue?
Priyankafox
PLS Senior User

Re: I can't upload my data, despite saving it as csv.

Post by Priyankafox »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report back to this brilliant support community.

I realized one variable was causing the problem: income. Despite saving my data as CSV on spss, for some reason there were comma's separating the zeros in some cells of the monthly income variable.

Anyway, after resolving this. SmartPLS 3.0 was able to determine indicators.

Hope this helps anyone who gets the message I kept getting.

Still a novice!

Regards,
Priyanka
Sophieghvanidze
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Sophie Ghvanidze

Save data set for segments from FIMIX-PLS

Post by Sophieghvanidze »

Dear all,

I run FIMIX-PLS and got three segments. In the next step I need to save three data sets for each segment in order to estimate PLS path model for each group seperately. But I could not figure out how to save the created data sets for each segment group. Is there any function for that in SmartPLS3?

It would be very helpful if you can respond me how to save the data set for each created segment derived by FIMIX-PLS function.

Thank you in advance.
Sophie