HTMT with higher order constructs?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
mdragt
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Marian Dragt MBA - PhD Student

HTMT with higher order constructs?

Post by mdragt »

Hello,
I would like to use the HTMT criterion to assess discriminant validity. It is clear how to use it with lower constructs, but how could I use it on higher(2nd) order constructs?
Thanks in advance!
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: HTMT with higher order constructs?

Post by cringle »

Hi

It works exacly the same way as for any other reflective construct.

The questions remain:

Why do you use higher order constructs in PLS-SEM when you have no limitations in the complexity of your structural model and can estimate all relationships from the lower constructs to the target constructs directly.

What is a higher oder construct?

Do you expect discriminant validity between the higher and the lower order constructs?

Do you expect discriminant validity between the lower order constructs?

For sure, you expect discriminant validity between the higher order construct and the other construct in the PLS path model.
mdragt
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Marian Dragt MBA - PhD Student

Post by mdragt »

Thanks for your answer Christian! I use a 2nd order construct as the construct has 4 dimensions (based on literature), but I will also check these 4 dimensions as lower order constructs, thanks for the suggestion. But, using the 2nd order construct (independent construct), I can ignore discriminant validity between the lower order constructs, and only focus on the 2nd order construct and the dependent construct?
Tabinda
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Tabinda »

Hi..

This issue is still confusing to me , as I have read a post of Dr.Ringle as under

Re: convergent and divergent validity
Postby cringle » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:26 pm

HTMT is in SmartPLS 3, just check the discriminant validity report.

In 2nd order models, you don't care about discriminant validity problems between the lower order constructs and/or the higher order construct.

Best
CR
Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle
http://www.tuhh.de/hrmo/team/prof-dr-c-m-ringle.html

--> More info on PLS-SEM: https://www.smartpls.com/documentation/index
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

SO I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO STILL " SHOULD I IGNORE ALL SECOND ORDER CONSTRUCTS ALONG WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE FIRST ORDER DIMENSIONS in HTMT..

PLEASE CLARITY FURTHER