Stupid Question: Control Variable vs Multigroup Analysis

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
arcticarrow
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Master Student

Stupid Question: Control Variable vs Multigroup Analysis

Post by arcticarrow »

HI sorry for this stupid question but I cannot find the answer.

if I want to test X --> Z, what's the difference between Control Variable (eg. Having gender as a single construct pointing to Z), and Multi-group analysis to see if the path_coefficient are singnificantly (t test bootstrapping) different for X --> Z across male and female.

THanks.
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Re: Stupid Question: Control Variable vs Multigroup Analysis

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Variable control has the function to control the DV variables (such as demographic variables). Whereas in PLS-MGA control as moderating variables.

Regards,
arcticarrow
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Master Student

Post by arcticarrow »

Hi THanks for this, but I am still very confused, in particular,

In testing the hypothesis X --> Z, I am not doing MGA analysis here because Y is a latent variable measured by 6 reflective indicators.

My question is, should I Model Y as a moderating effect (product indicator) or should I just add an arrow from Y, pointing to Z and see if the R2 increase a lot (in this case it would be a control variable?)

So I am confused with Moderator and COntrol variable. Thanks
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Why you ask "Y" role as a moderating or control to someone else? Obviously knew it was you, in accordance with the model you get up, what you want to test and how your research goals. Control variable is demographics, rare latent form.
Variable control function to control the effects of extraneous variables, while moderating variables you must know.

Best regards,