Factor analysis before PLS

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
LaStrega
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Factor analysis before PLS

Post by LaStrega »

Hi there,

I definitely do need your help!!!

Looking through studies and books I got a little confused by the different approaches used to conduct factor analyses for reflective scales before running PLS-analysis.

Some recommend carrying out exploratory factor analysis (EFA) using SPSS first, followed by covariance-based confirmatory factor analysis (CB-CFA) using e.g. AMOS. The "stepwise" received results (items) are then applied to PLS for further analyses.

Others are pro EFA (in SPSS) but advice against using CB-CFA (e.g. AMOS) before PLS-analysis, criticizing they have different underlying assumptions. Instead they recommend doing the CFA directly in PLS (using the EFA's results).

But even within the field of EFA there seems to be some confusion about what extraction method (principal component vs. principal axis vs. ...) and which rotation procedure (oblique vs. Varimax) are most appropriate when using PLS afterwards.

So, my question: Are there any rules or is there a generally accepted way of how to conduct EFA and CFA when using PLS? Could you provide me with corresponding references (published articles etc.)?

Hope, someone can help!
Thanks in advance!