Small sample

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
ramzidz69
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Small sample

Post by ramzidz69 »

Hi all
I am in problem with my sample size (26 cause difficulty to get response) , with a lot variables. can i perform a PLS and establish my structural model.
addition PCA does not adequate in case of smaller sample.
what can i do.thanks a lot for all
PhD candidate managment
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Ahmed,
How many your construct endogen?
sample require for estimate PLS 10x your construct endogen in the model.
For PCA sample minimum is 30-100 cases.
Regards,
Hengky
ramzidz69
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

>Hengkov

Post by ramzidz69 »

thanks Hengkov
i know about this constaint but my model dont still in this condition

- i studies relation: motivation, antecedant, aptitude , skill, Human capital and their effect to firm success (in 4variable all dicotomic (y/n)).
my simple size (25) and have minimum 8 variable for each latent construct.

- second not all my variable is likert , do i change its on likert skale to perform in PLS???

if have idea plz show me
regards
PhD candidate managment
vonbergh
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Re: >Hengkov

Post by vonbergh »

Hi Ramzidz,
ramzidz69 wrote:i studies relation: motivation, antecedant, aptitude , skill, Human capital and their effect to firm success (in 4variable all dicotomic (y/n)). my simple size (25) and have minimum 8 variable for each latent construct.
Based on your description (6 variables) you'll need >60 respondents. The alternative (a reduction of the complexity of your model to 3 variables) is also difficult as a result of your sample size. You'll really need to increase your sample.
ramzidz69 wrote:second not all my variable is likert , do i change its on likert skale to perform in PLS???
SmartPLS will accept dichotomous variables.

Greetings,
Dennis
ramzidz69
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Dificulty in sample size

Post by ramzidz69 »

To M. Dennis von Bergh
special thanks M. Dennis von Bergh , i know this , but here in tunisia is so difficult to get respondants who accept to fill an survey as our convinance.
i thisk i shood reduce my latents variable to 3 as you see.

is it oblige to use the same scale for each latent construct or we can have different scale for items (VM), like likert scale (1 to 5) and dichotomus (0,1) in the same LV. or we oblige to use the same and unique scale for each LV.
best regard
PhD candidate managment
shone
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by shone »

You may find one example with 58 respondents in Davcik & Rundquist 2012, An exploratory study of brand success, doi: 10.1080/08974438.2012.645747

Good luck with the research!

Nebo
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

With so small sample size, just huge effects will be detected as significant.

See:
COHEN, J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. 2nd ed. New York: Psychology Press, 1988.

MURPHY, K. R.; MYORS, B.; WOLACH, A. Statistical power analysis: a simple and general model for traditional and modern hypothesis tests. 3rd ed. New York: Routledge – Taylor & Francis Group, 2009.

ZILIAK, S. T.; MCCLOSKEY, D. N. The Cult of Statistical Significance: how the standard error costs us jobs, justice, and lives. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press, 2008.

Best regards,

Bido