Preditive relevance q-squared

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
iRose
PLS User
Real name and title:

Preditive relevance q-squared

Post by iRose »

Dear SmartPLS users/experts/developers,

Can anyone please explain to me how to calculate the q-squared (NOT Q-squared)? I am not sure how to run the blindfolding procedure to get the Q-squared excluded because I have no idea which LV shall I select/check. I would appreciate if you could explain this issue to me with an example.

Thank you very much.
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Ida,
Please see two chapter books below for detail calculate and example: effect size (f-squares), Q-squares and q-squeres predictive relevance.

Chin, W.W (1998). The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling. In G.A. Marcoulides (Ed.), Modern methods for business research (pp. 295-336). Mahwah, New Jersey: Lewrence Erlbaum Associates.

Chin, W.W (2010). How to write up and report PLS Analyses. In V.E Vinsi et al (Eds.), Hanbook of partial least squares: Concepts, methods and applications in marketing and related fields (pp. 655-690). Berlin: Spinger.

Regards,
Hengky
Joules
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by Joules »

How do you use blindfolding for Q² correctly?
If you select all latent variables in your model via Blindfolding menu, will it calculate the right CV red. for each construct or do you have to select each single construct to calculate its individual CV red?

Moreover, regarding the predicive "size" (q²), I understand, that the method to measure that is the same as for effect size. Do you have to temporarily delete one predictor to get the influence on a subsequent construct?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Best,
Julius
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Julius,
For predictive relevance, please see some articles and books in PLS literature for your understand it (very long for explain).
Regards,
Hengky
Joules
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by Joules »

Hi Hengky,

Thanks for the advice on the literature. However, I was a little more interested in the technique within SmartPLS.

My first problem is, when I run the blindfolding over all construcst and I look at a specific construct, the value differs from the one I get when I just select this construct in the menu.
Which one is the true Q² score? The single-measured CV red. or the CV red. including all constructs?

As for q², the way I did that was analogous to the effect size measurement. But this time, the blindfolding procedure has a menue where you can actually choose constructs. Shall I delete each predictor and measure the CV red afterwards and compare these scores?

Best,
Julius
Last edited by Joules on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joules
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by Joules »

Could anyone of you confirm if that answers my questions above?

I found a statement by Prof. Ringle here viewtopic.php?t=944&highlight=blindfolding

He says, to measure the for an individual endogenous variable, one must select only the construct of interest in the blindfolding menu and unselect all other constructs.
If that's right, I have to repeat that procedure for all other endogenous variables.
For , I then temporarily delete each predictor variable step by step and run the same blindfolding procedure all over. For each predictor the change in Q² of the endogeous variable is then q²=Q²incl-Q²excl/ (1- Q²incl). (same method as for R² changes)?

Is that correct?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Julius
Joules
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by Joules »

Can't anybody help? It would be so much appreciated!!
ebemar
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by ebemar »

Hi Julius,
did you get any reply or found out how to do this?

I am currently struggeling with the same questions
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

The suggested procedure is correct!

When you can read German, please check my working paper for more information about Q^2.

Greetings,

Christian
spiking
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Clemen Chiang

Re: Preditive relevance q-squared

Post by spiking »

Is there any online calculator to determine q square?

Thank you.
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Q-square value will always be almost equal to the value Adjsuted R ^ 2. If you have a model that is simple, with only one dependent variable, then the value of both will be identical.

Regards,
spiking
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Clemen Chiang

Post by spiking »

Hengkov wrote:Hi,
Q-square value will always be almost equal to the value Adjsuted R ^ 2. If you have a model that is simple, with only one dependent variable, then the value of both will be identical.
It will be helpful if there is an Excel template that we can use to generate small q square.

Or how about generating small q square from SmartPLS?

Any available?