Non-latent construct as endogenous construct

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
VP56
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Vice President

Non-latent construct as endogenous construct

Post by VP56 »

Hi all,

Please note me if this question has been asked before, I was only able to find this (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=804) article, but does not completely answer my question.

I have a model with several exogenous constructs, of which the indicators come from a survey (1-5 Likert scale). However, I have two endogenous construct which are NOT latent. They come from a database which captures a certain performance.
- 1 of these constructs (named performance) has 3 indicators (based on average times, but these are also classified into an ordinal scale)
- the other construct has only 1 indicator, which scores from 0% - 100%

My main question is whether PLS-SEM allows me to use a non-latent construct as an endogenous construct? Right now they do not behave that well in the model (their factor loadings change a lot depending on other factors that are in the model).
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Non-latent construct as endogenous construct

Post by cringle »

Sure, as long a the scale of these variables is metric or quasi-metric. You can use the target variables as single-item constructs in SmartPLS.

Best
CR
VP56
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Vice President

Post by VP56 »

Thank you mister Ringle. Does this mean this is also possible for multi-item constructs? Or only as single-item?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Also for multiple item constructs if they have metric or quasi-metric scale.

Best
CR