EFA before CFA & removing low outer loading

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
kamellia.ch
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: kamelia chaichi

EFA before CFA & removing low outer loading

Post by kamellia.ch »

Hi. I am PhD student with the 300 samples thesis. I have two question appreciate if you guide me :

1- Is it necessary to apply EFA (Exploratory factor analysis) in SPSS before conducting your research in PLS and doing CFA (Confirmatory factor analysis)?

2- According to Hair et al., 2014, the outer loading 0.7 show high indicator reliability, and if between 4-7 , only you remove them when your composite reliability and AVE increase. after doing my algorithm, I needed to remove some lower outer-loading but remain some because the composite reliability didn't change. but at the other hand it means low indicator reliability and therefore you can not also claim you have convergent validity since reliability is necessary condition for validity. should I remove all the low outer-loading ? then the result will not be bias? (ps. the result have high composite reliability the only problem is indicator reliability)

appreciate your guidance
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: EFA before CFA & removing low outer loading

Post by cringle »

Usually, you can do the analysis directly in PLS. However, doing a CFA a priori may give you some orientation and certainly is not "harmful". Either way is fine; we usually directly do the analysis in PLS (the latent variables are different since they are established in the context of the model; these results differ from those of a CFA).

Best
CR
kamellia.ch
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: kamelia chaichi

Re: EFA before CFA & removing low outer loading

Post by kamellia.ch »

Thanks Dr.Ringle