PLS-MGA with dependent samples

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Taolin
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

PLS-MGA with dependent samples

Post by Taolin »

Hi everyone

I got a question, related to PLS-MGA and dependent samples.

Since PLS-MGA seems to be designed for comparing different groups (e.g., genders, cultures), I assume that the results are computed based on a independent sample t-test.

I collected panel data, and my goal is to investigate whether the strength of the path coefficients changes over time (e.g., some antecedents becoming more/less important over time). Now, the thing is that my samples are not independent, since the exact same participants completed the survey multiple times (3 weeks in between).

My question is whether I could still run the PLS-MGA, and then take parts of the output (e.g., interim results) to compute a dependent sample t-test for my purpose. If yes,a) which parts of the output do I need, b) which formula should I use with this output, and c) can I just use the basic PLS-MGA-settings or do I need to make changes?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: PLS-MGA with dependent samples

Post by jmbecker »

Simple answer: There is no established method to account for dependent samples in MGAs, although there are probably many possible ways to account for this. Certainly a research opportunity.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
jmullins
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Jeff Mullins

Re: PLS-MGA with dependent samples

Post by jmullins »

Matthias, thanks for posting this question. Did you ever determine a good solution to the problem you described here with dependent samples and PLS-MGA? I am currently facing the same issue, wanting to compare path coefficients in a PLS model before and after an intervention. And thank you, Dr. Becker, for clarifying what Matthias suspected and confirming that MGA is not set up to account for this by default.

Thanks,
Jeff