Confirmatory Tetrad Analysis: Help Me with Basic Questions!

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
skono
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Shintaro Kono, Ph.D Candidate

Confirmatory Tetrad Analysis: Help Me with Basic Questions!

Post by skono »

Greetings from Canada,

I am running some confirmatory tetrad analyses (CTA), following Gudergan et al.'s (2008) procedures with SmartPLS 3. In so doing, I've got a few basic questions and am wondering if somebody could help me out! My questions are:

(a) Gudergan et al. (2008) reported "residual values" in Tables 4 and 5 (pp. 1244 and 1246, respectively). I am not sure where in SmartPLS 3 outputs we can find these values. Given that some of values they reported have a negative sign, I suspect that these are not standard deviation or error... Perhaps, values under the "Original Sample (o)" in the output?

(b) In the first post from Spiking, Spiking's CTA output includes "standard error." But, my output shows "standard deviation." I am wondering if I did something wrong...

(c) Gudergan et al. mentioned "sensitivity analysis" (p. 1242) that "provides additional assurance that the tetrad substitution does not affect the initial statistical test results." I wonder if this is necessary in the SmartPLS 3 context, and if so, how we can do this. I don't see any option in terms of tetrad substitution, so should we change the order of variables in the original Excel file in such way that different combination of tetrads will be analyzed in CTA?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Shin
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: Confirmatory Tetrad Analysis: Help Me with Basic Questio

Post by cringle »

Thanks.

@ (a): When you open the CTA-PLS results report in SmartPLS and click on a certain construct under "final results", the residual values are in the first column.

@ (b): The procedure is based on the bootstrapping routine. In bootstrapping the standard error equals the standard deviation. That's why you usually only find the one or the other results presentation (which are equal).

@ (c): That's a very good one and a valuable post under "requested features". So far, this is not supported by SmartPLS. What you can do is to create a new dataset and to to switch the names of the indicators per measurement model. Then, import the dataset into SmartPLS and re-run the CTA-PLS analysis. SmartPLS uses an alphabetical order of indicators and a deterministic procedure to create the model-implied non-redundant vanishing tetrads. But since you changed the variable data under the label for the second data set, you basically perform the described sensitivity analysis.

Best regards
Christian
skono
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Shintaro Kono, Ph.D Candidate

Re: Confirmatory Tetrad Analysis: Help Me with Basic Questio

Post by skono »

Dear Christian,

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful!

All the best,

Shin