Significance in MGA

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
guru_rr
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Ramesh

Significance in MGA

Post by guru_rr »

Dear Sir
I am running MGA using SmartPLS, and I am finding some strange issue which I will like to understand.
(I am quite new to this PLS SEM thing, so my apology in case my doubts appear naive!!)

I have two groups Experts and Non experts and some relationship constructs in my study where difference between the groups is being explored.
Now in the MGAs I ran, I find minute differences in path coefficients (like 0.02. 0.04) etc getting significant p-values but major coefficient differences ( in order of 0.2,0.6 etc)
have non-significant p-values associated with them!!

Also the individual paths in their own groups are significant and non-significant in two groups as per my hypothesis ( when I run PLS for each group separately I mean) , but strangely the PLS-MGA
as per SmartPLS still says these paths are insignificant!!

Now my question is, if it's possible?

Thanking you for your replies.

Regards
Ramesh
guru_rr
PLS Junior User

Re: Significance in MGA

Post by guru_rr »

Bumping up this question. Would love to hear an answer, too.
Thank you
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

Yes, all of what you describe is possible.

First, the difference between significant and insignificant must not be significant. It is a simple rule that people always confuse.

Second, whether something is significant depends on the size of the coefficient and the associated error. If you coefficient is large, but the error is even larger then it is nonsignificant. If your coefficient is small, but the error even smaller then it is significant. Both are important and together they determine the significance.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
guru_rr
PLS Junior User

Post by guru_rr »

Thanks Dr. Becker

So just to be clear, when you say
jmbecker wrote:
First, the difference between significant and insignificant must not be significant. It is a simple rule that people always confuse.
you mean, the difference between two group's path coefficient can be of any order and be significant or non-significant!
(As in my case 0.02 being significant and 0.23 being non significant)

Also just to be sure, the ERROR in case of bootstrapping would be STDDEV or we should use STDDEV/SQRT(N)?
(Since my two groups have very low N in order of 30 and 40)