Help me. Second order construct :(

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
olivia.lee
PLS User
Real name and title: olivia F.LEE

Help me. Second order construct :(

Post by olivia.lee »

Dear PLS experts! Please help me out.

I have 5 measurement models.

A,B,C (e.g. different types of IT service) affects D (a mediator, called a integration capability). and D affects E (firm performance). All of them are reflective. I have presented this model to a journal paper and the reviewer said that I need to address why my model does not consider D as a second order construct of A,B,C.

Actually A,B, C shows relationships. They are A affects B and C. B affects C. This relationship should be demonstrated in the model as one of the important characteristics of the IT service concept.

In this case of A, B, C shows relationships, it is possible to make D as the second order construct?

Please help!

Warm regards, Olivia....
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Help me. Second order construct :(

Post by jmbecker »

If they are highly correlated, then it could be a reflective-reflective second-order constructs, but you should not model relationships between the lower-order constructs as they are then supposed to be measures of the same concept.

This seems to be a problem that can only be argued on theoretical grounds and not methodological grounds.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
olivia.lee
PLS User
Real name and title: olivia F.LEE

Re: Help me. Second order construct :(

Post by olivia.lee »

jmbecker wrote:If they are highly correlated, then it could be a reflective-reflective second-order constructs, but you should not model relationships between the lower-order constructs as they are then supposed to be measures of the same concept.

This seems to be a problem that can only be argued on theoretical grounds and not methodological grounds.
Oh thank you so much!
I really really appreciate your help!!!

XX