What would be your willingness to pay for SmartPLS per year?

This forum is closed, and read-only.

25 EUR
40%
50 EUR
35%
100 EUR
15%
150 EUR
3%
200 EUR
1%
250 EUR
2%
350 EUR
1%
500 EUR
1%
750 EUR
0%
1.000 EUR
1%

Total votes: 272

cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

In order to ensure the future development and improvement of SmartPLS, the core team needs financial resources. Acquiring corporate sponsors or financial support by the users did not work in the past. For this reason, we may need to sell SmartPLS in the future.

Holger Schiele
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Paying for SmartPLS

Post by Holger Schiele »

Dear all,

first of all, I hope that it will continue to be possible to provide this excellent software for free. I would argue that SmartPLS has the character of a neteffect-good which means that it needs to achieve a high penetration rate - for the benefit of the entire community. Therefore, there needs to be a penetration pricing applied, preferrably distributing the software for free. If SmartPLS costs money fewer people will use it and we will have more difficulties in achieving the critical mass (with users and subsequently with journal reviewers).

However, if there is no sponsor: since the SPSS/Amos packages costs 70 € per year, SmartPLS should be priced somewhere lower, since it is offering an alternative to a part of this package, only.

Still, I was wondering if rather then finding firms as sponsors, wouldn't it be possible to apply for money from sponsors of academic research? Someone like DFG, Volkswagen-Stiftung or Thyssen-Stiftung financing a researcher who is developing the software?

If there is any way how I could help, feel free to ask me.

Kind regards

Holger Schiele
jaldas
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Paying for SmartPlS

Post by jaldas »

Dear All,

Firstly I see absolutely reasonable to pay for a product that has demonstrated its continous improvement and quality. My questions is why are you considering a year basis for the licenses. Most of software products sell a license for a certain version and consider additional payments for upgrading.

Takint this into account, the prices of very specific statistical products like EQS or Mplus move around 600 euros, that's why I think that 100 euros per year could be a reasonable price if new versions are someway guaranteed each 5-6 years. In the case the development team thought significantly improved versions could take more years to be developed, 50 euros could be a more reasonable price.

However I consider that a single payment for the software of about 600 euros should be considered as an alternative.

Best
Max
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

GPL

Post by Max »

How about releasing SmartPLS under a GPL License? I know some java. Probably others know a lot more, wouldn't there be enough community support for the development possibilities to be given to the entire community?
Max
garson
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

SmartPLS pricing

Post by garson »

I think you need to follow the example of some other specialty stat programs like HLM which understand that TEACHING their package is creating customers, therefore there is a free mostly full-featured version for instructions. If I remember right, the HLM package is totally full featured except it will handle only instructional-size datasets, which are still large enough to meet data assumptions of the procedure.

I don't know how much our lab would pay to install SmartPLS as it is one week of a course for about 6 doctoral students. Maybe $100? Not sure. Even if it is just a small amount, getting the academic bureaucracy to approve, process a purchase order, etc., can prove a practical roadblock to its use.

I would not pay out of my own pocket to buy copies for students simply for the privilege of creating future customers for a company.
David Garson is a professor of public administration, teaching research methods in the School of Public and International Affairs, North Carolina State University, and may be contacted at david_garson@ncsu.edu.
a.vanriel
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Pricing for Students and PhD candidates, Pricing outside EU

Post by a.vanriel »

I think it would be wise to differentiate the price according to user type and region. I am convinced that professors/researchers in Europe and the US will have the necessary means to pay a decent price for the product. To stimulate the use of SmartPLS in graduate and PhD research methods classes, and in final thesis projects, I think it would be wise to maintain a free (maybe 'limited') edition for graduate students, and a less expensive (unlimited) version for PhD candidates. Also, I suggest that in different areas of the world different prices should be asked, since economic development is not the same everywhere (think about developing countries, where professors' salaries are generally < 300€ a month).
mschmaltz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Paying for SmartPLS

Post by mschmaltz »

First of, I am generally willing to pay for SmartPLS - especially given that it is so much easier to use than certain competitors.

That said, I really dislike subscription style pricing models - in my opinion, a one time license fee would be much more reasonable.

Also, please keep in mind that many PhD students will be paying for this kind of expense out of their own pockets. Thus, I suggest you come up with a tiered pricing model as suggested above. As for commercial use pricing, I think an appropriate license fee might be considerably higher than academic licensing fees.

As a nice example, consider the tiered pricing offered by GlobalPark for their (very capable) online survey platform under their Unipark program (http://www.unipark.com/). Of course, this requires some volume of commercial rate business in order to cross subsidize the reduced research rates.
Eremita
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

250 euros is enough

Post by Eremita »

200 - 250 euros is enough.

Considering the software has a lot of issues yet, and covariance modeling is "de facto" stardard, people will pay 500 US dollars or more for popular software and high levels of support. I'm not sure you can provide this kind of service at the moment. Obviously, if you go to ask money for your program, you must have a decent support service, forums are not enough.

Besides, I will be happy if you ask money because in that case I can pay it and to ask a good level of service. Now, I feel I'm a little bit alone and I have my hand tied to put claims.
Psychologist - Methodologist
Research Coordinator of
BETA Talent Program
konglong
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by konglong »

first of all, I hope that it will continue to be possible to provide this excellent software for free. I would argue that SmartPLS has the ch

Real name and title:

Post by quaddusm »

I don't like yearly payment. An one time fee should be the alternative. But make sure you can provide high level of support.
Professor Mohammed Quaddus, PhD
Graduate School of Business
Curtin University of Technology
78 Murray Street, Perth, WA 6000, AUSTRALIA
Tel: 61-8-9266 2862, Fax: 61-8-9266 3368
E-mail: mohammed.quaddus@gsb.curtin.edu.au
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Some suggest about the issue:
1. SmartPLS become popularity software in context PLS-SEM rather than another software PLS because free access. I think, if will sell future, maybe popularity this software will less. For this reason, many user in this forum are student. So, they not interest for buy commercial software (just some people). And than, have another packages such R still free.

2. If will sell future (maybe or not), for calculation not per year, but per version. Because SmartPLS not release new version each year.
I don't know how much money, but for comparison XLSTAT-PLSPM 55 $ per year (discount 30% after that), WarpPLS 75 $ per version.
Note: In XLSTAT-PLSPM and WarpPLS realese new version per year).

3. SmartPLS must add many feature and make some bug software before sell, because competition with WarpPLS and XLSTAT-PLSPM very hard, if same commercial software. B-)

4. For purpose commercial software, SmartPLS must provide student version similar LISREL or full version but limited time.;-)
jialin3105
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by jialin3105 »

Honestly, our PhD students are educated to use AMOS. I chose to use smartpls because it is also well-accepted in MIS area and it is much easier to use than AMOS. However, if smartpls is charged, I do not think our college will buy it and I will use AMOS since I will not buy it as an individual.
bradley7680
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Dr. Bradley Wilson. Senior Lecturer in Advertising. School of Media and Communication. RMIT University.

Re: What would be your willingness to pay for SmartPLS per y

Post by bradley7680 »

Hi,

I prefer a perpetual license. The yearly fee thing with companies really gets me offside.
to pay for major releases thereafter also make sense.

best regards

Brad/
Bradley Wilson. Ph.D. Senior Lecturer in Advertising. School of Media and Communication. RMIT University. Melbourne, Australia.
SEE: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bradley_Wilson2 http://scholar.google.com.au/citations? ... AAAJ&hl=en