Expired Floating Professional Licence

This forum is closed, and read-only.
Jules
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Ms. Juliane Schwan

Expired Floating Professional Licence

Post by Jules »

Hello all,

I am experiencing a serious problem with my SmartPLS. Serious, because tomorrow is the due date for handing in my thesis and I need to recheck my results. I am using the temporary professional licence (usable 1 year, activated August 18, 2014) for my thesis and today I cannot open SmartPLS due to the attached failure message. It says that I am using a floating licence that has expired. It still worked properly yesterday. Can anyone support me quickly?

Thanks a lot, any hint is appreciated!

Regards,

Juliane
Attachments
20150201_Floating Licence expired.PNG
20150201_Floating Licence expired.PNG (23.01 KiB) Viewed 16876 times
iyer_venk
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Venkat Iyer, MD

Re: Expired Floating Professional Licence

Post by iyer_venk »

I have the same issue. My floating license was supposed to last until June 2015. I am in middle of my analysis and the software would not work. Please help.
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Early-Bird-License Expires on 2015-01-31 for the all user. After that, you must buy the SmartPLS professional license key.
Check link below
https://www.smartpls.com/purchase?CSRF_ ... 47d86bc4ac
For academics will receive a discount of 50%.

Greetings,
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Thank you for this request, which is important and gives us the opportunity for clarification.

SmartPLS never announced to offer a free SmartPLS 3 Professional license for one year or until June or so. We also did not actively promote the early bird license. In fact, only users who clicked the "buy" button on a previous version of the SmartPLS webpage got access to the early bird license. Before obtaining the early bird license, a message appeared that clearly informed the user that the early bird license runs only for a very short time until the shop opens. At the beginning of January, we sent an email to all early bird users announcing that the early bird license period will end at the end of January.

We are sorry that this process caused some confusion.

What can you do now? There are serval options:
  • - SmartPLS 2 remains free! – which we believe is a fair decision with respect to the SmartPLS user base.

- If you like to use SmartPLS 3, please try the free student version. This version gives you access to all algorithms. However, there are some limitations regarding the sample size (i.e. 100 observations) and the export of reports. If your data has more than 100 observations, you can at least use the Student version to try out (with a reduced data set), if your analysis leads into the right direction.

- With the latest download of SmartPLS, we offer a 30-days free trial version of SmartPLS Professional. This gives you full access to all SmartPLS resources for another month.

- Finally, you can certainly purchase a SmartPLS Professional license, which is available for one month up to five years.
Please check additonal information on http://www.smartpls.com

Kind regards,
Christian Ringle
a.petz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Andreas Petz

Post by a.petz »

Dear Prof. Ringle,

we are looking forward in licensing this great product for our institute. Nevertheless I am wondering if there is a possibility to gain more insights in using the new software version since I can't find any tutorials or manuals and it's not free anymore. I was searching for something similar like the "Leitfaden SmartPLS" by Prof. Dr. Frank Huber, since the new version is a little bit different in comparison to the old one. Because of the various possibilities of statistical analysis it is very difficult to get a quick and comprehensive overview of the novel functionalities and capabilities of the smartpls 3.

Thank you in advance.

Andreas Petz

IAW RWTH Aachen
http://www.iaw.rwth-aachen.de
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

Dear Andreas Petz,

I am not aware of any updated tutorial-like literature or videos so far.

One of the new features of SmartPLS 3 is its "in-built" description of the settings. Moreover, we offer a brief explanation of the methods and provide references to guiding literature within the software. However, the key thing is to understand the methods. For this purpose, the book on PLS-SEM (Hair et al. 2014) is a good start. When looking into new features of SmartPLS 3, such as
  • - Consistent partial least squares algorithm
    - OLS regression based on sumscores
    - Advanced bootstrapping options
    - Improved Blindfolding
    - Importance-performance matrix analysis (IPMA)
    - Multi-group analysis (MGA)
    - Second-order models
    - Nonlinear relationships (e.g. quadratic effect)
    - Confirmatory tetrad analysis (CTA)
    - Finite mixture (FIMIX) segmentation
    - Prediction-oriented segmentation (POS)
    - Weighted Data,
studying some of the recommended articles explaining the methods might be a good way to gain the relevant underpinnings of applying these features. Then, running SmartPLS 3 is straight forward.

Kind regards,
Christian Ringle

P.S. You may want to look into our methods-related courses on PLS-SEM advances: http://www.pls-school.com. We plan running a course in Hamburg next June (which is not mentioned on the webpage, yet).
iyer_venk
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Venkat Iyer, MD

Post by iyer_venk »

I had a floating Professional license (PLS3) but it expired (early bird registration). Then I followed the advise to download SmartPLS3 and tried to install a 30 day trial. However, after downloading (64 bit Windows 7), when I tried to install it, I get an error message: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this onstall to complete could not be run. Contact package vendor".

Do I need to first uninstall the previous SMARTPLS3 on my PC then re-install the new version (3.2). Will I lose my data in this process?

Please help.
cringle
SmartPLS Developer

Post by cringle »

Hi

Please uninstall your previous SmartPLS version, download SmartPLS 3.2, again, and run the installation. In case of a problem, please place your detailled report:
http://support.smartpls.com/

Kind Regards,
CR
silburn
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by silburn »

I am a DBA Candidate with a sample dataset of 250 records. I have been using SpartPLS 3 Pro, the Early Bird version, with great success. I had SmartPLS 3 installed on two computers; one in my study at home and the other in my work office.
SmartPLS 3 is really a great product.
However, with the new pricing model I would now be required to purchase the Professional license (for datasets larger than 100 cases) at a 50% discount for Euro200 for each site or Euro400 total.
While I have no issue at all with paying to use the software, I would definitely find Euro400 per annum a bit on the steep side.
Is there any other model that can be offered as a compromise to Doctoral Research Students.
Some ideas (1) reduce the "unlimited dataset" component as a way to moderate the cost (2) offer a larger discount to Doctoral Research Students
Remember that your students are your future salesmen and women who will evangelize the virtues of the product
Can I recommend a 75% discount for Doctoral students for 1 year for datasets up to 400cases and with 2 installations.
Silburn Clarke
DBA Candidate
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

I think the 75% discount or make some programs for different databases it is quite impossible. I advice you might have to buy a license key SmartPLS per month, because not every month you use it instead. If you can use the R program, it may be a very good solution, because it is still free.

Greetings,