about Formative constructs

This forum is closed, and read-only.
MsHappyL
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

about Formative constructs

Post by MsHappyL »

Hello, dear All!
I read in the a lot of articles the information concerning that the researches should use PLS-SEM, if the model contains formative constructs. But, unfortunately, I could not find information why exactly CB SEM cannot analyse formative constructs. It would be highly appreciated if you could give me some explanation about this issue. I would be very grateful for any feedback!
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Some reason:
1. All software CB-SEM cannot handle formative construct (original develop just for reflective construct)
2. CB-SEM goal for confirmatory research, suitable with classical test theory (just for mode A).
3. Model non-identified if formative construct in CB-SEM.
4. MIMIC model develop in CB-SEM for handle formative construct, but this method have some problem.
5. PLS best approach for handle formative construct.

Best Regards,
Hengky
MsHappyL
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by MsHappyL »

Dear Hengky,

Thank you so much for your very helpful answer! :)

I would be very grateful, if you could recommend me some article about this topic, because I have to prove my Professor all these statements.

With best regards and once again many thanks,
Lilie
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Lilie,

Many literature explain it, but check some references below:
Bollen, K. A., and Lennox, R. 1991. “Conventional Wisdom on Measurement: A Structural Equation Perspective,”Psychological Bulletin (110:2), pp. 305-314.

Bollen, K. A. 1989. Structural Equations with Latent Variables,
New York: Wiley.

Bollen, K. A. 2011. “Evaluating Effect, Composite, and Causal Indicators in Structural Equation Models,” MIS Quarterly (35:2), pp. 359-372.

Cenfetelli, R.T., and Bassellier, G. 2009. INTERPRETATION OF FORMATIVE MEASUREMENT IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH in MISQ (33:4), pp. 689-707.

Diamantopoulos, A. 2011. “Incorporating Formative Measures Into Cavarinace-Based Structural Equation Models,” MIS Quarterly (35:2), pp. 335-358.

Goodhue, D., Lewis, W., and Thompson, R. 2012. “COMPARING PLS TO REGRESSION AND LISREL: A RESPONSE TO MARCOULIDES, CHIN, AND SAUNDERS ,” MIS Quarterly (36:3), pp. 703-716.

Kline, R. B. (2012). “Assumptions in structural equation modeling,”. In R. Hoyle (Ed.), Handbook of structural equation modeling. New York: Guilford, pp.111-125.

Schumacker, R.E., and Lomax, R.G. 2010. A Begginer’s Guide to Structural Equation Modeling. Third Edition, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

And also check special issue formative construct in psychological method and journal of business research.

Best Regards,
Hengky
MsHappyL
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by MsHappyL »

Dear Hengky,

I appreciate your help very much! Thank you! :)

I wish you a wonderful day!

With kind regards,
Lilie