2nd order constructs

This forum is closed, and read-only.
AhmedAOD
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Ahmed Raza

2nd order constructs

Post by AhmedAOD »

Hi, please can anyone tell me the criteria to choose the first order constructs (which adds to the second order construct), as either formative or reflective. Because, in my case, the theory doesn't specify and if i apply the general rule one FOC seems to be formative and the other one seems to be reflective.
Moreover, in case of reflective FOC's, is it necessary to draw path (or calculate) between the first order constructs and the dependents variables ??

Any help would be highly appreciated, Thanks in advance....!
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: 2nd order constructs

Post by jmbecker »

If theory does not allow to tell you which type of construct you have (formative or reflective), what type of constructs are that? Are you inventing these constructs? Still you need to think about whether the indicators (first-order constructs) are causing or being caused by the constructs (formative or reflective). In the same way, you also need to think about the second-order constructs and whether the FOC are causing or being caused by the second-order constructs.

You may read the papers by
Becker, J. M., Klein, K., & Wetzels, M. (2012). Hierarchical latent variable models in PLS-SEM: guidelines for using reflective-formative type models. Long Range Planning, 45(5-6), 359-394.
Sarstedt, M., Hair Jr, J. F., Cheah, J. H., Becker, J. M., & Ringle, C. M. (2019). How to specify, estimate, and validate higher-order constructs in PLS-SEM. Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ), 27 (3), 197-211

They give a good general overview on higher-order models.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de