Missing Values

This forum is closed, and read-only.
jechterl
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Missing Values

Post by jechterl »

during the data import routine I am not able to define missing values (next button not activated after path definition, only finish button activiated).
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

An option to treat missing values is coming soon!

Post by cringle »

Hi,

you are right. This is a problem.

Originally, we asked the user to indicate missing values by a certain number, e.g. “9999”. SmartPLS offered a checkmark “Missing values” - this option replaces the number indicating the missing values in your data (e.g. “9999”) by the mean of the variable (it belongs to).

At the moment, the entire Smart-PLS-Missing-Value-Plug-In is disabled. We are currently improving this plug-in by implementing new (smarter) options to treat missing values. This improved plug-in will be part of the next SmartPLS release.

The solution for your problem by now:
Use SPSS or Microsoft Excel to treat missing values before you import your data into SmartPLS. For example, you can use the mean of a certain variable to treat missing values within this variable or you can delete all cases with missing values.

Note: Valid data for SmartPLS must have a number in each cell! So you cannot process data with missing values, at the moment. If you have missing values, you need to preprocess your data as described above!

We are sorry for this inconvenience and we will deliver several procedures to treat missing values in the next SmartPLS release.
wema
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Applied method to Missing values in PLS 2.0?

Post by wema »

The thread "SmartPLS 2.0 M2 - What’s new?" says

"improved data import: methods to treat missing values"

Unfortunately I was not able to find out, what method PLS exactly uses for missing values. Listwise deletion, casewise or blockwise deletion or data imputation?

Maybe it's written somewhere, but I was not able to find it in the forum? Sorry in that case.

PS: Otherwise I am very happy with the very user-friendly software!

Greetings from Hannover, Mark
Universität Hannover
Lehrstuhl Marketing und Konsum
www.marketing.uni-hannover.de