Re-activation not working? This solution did it for me

This forum is closed, and read-only.
svanbaal
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Re-activation not working? This solution did it for me

Post by svanbaal »

Dear SmartPLS-Users:

For a while, I have been unable to re-activate SmartPLS. A fresh installation did not help, neither did a registry clean, different proxy settings, and a new activation key. I almost gave up, but just found a solution I would like to share. I did not find it in the forum, but it may be somewhere. Essentially, I trick SmartPLS into believing that I am activating the software for the first time. This is very easy. I run SmartPLS on Windows 7, 64-bit with JRE 6.

Here's the step-by-step procedure:
1.: Access the SmartPLS error log. In my case, it is found in "C:\SmartPLS\configuration\1334150613793.log". Line 9 reads "!MESSAGE C:\Users\sbaal\.smartpls (Zugriff verweigert)", where "Zugriff verweigert" means "Access denied". Hence, the file "C:\Users\sbaal\.smartpls" seems to be the problem.
2.: Delete this file. To do this, you may have to make hidden files visible by changing the settings in the Windows Explorer.
3.: Start SmartPLS. It asks for the activation key, like the first time you installed it. Enter the key.
4.: SmartPLS works fine, at least on my computer.

I hope that this solution will be useful to some users. Not everyone seems to have a re-activation problem, but I did on two different computers.

Best regards
Sebastian van Baal
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Thanks for providing this solution!

Best
CHristian
iugefachn
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Muhammad Fachrudin Uge

Re: Re-activation not working? This solution did it for me

Post by iugefachn »

I have the same problem, but on the Mac OS X operating system. Is there a solution for me?

Thank's.
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Re-activation not working? This solution did it for me

Post by jmbecker »

Are you using SmartPLS 2 or 3? This discussion is about SmartPLS2. SmartPLS2 does not work on Mac OS.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de