Can No Longer Open Project Files -- Please Help

This forum is closed, and read-only.
jspanjol
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Can No Longer Open Project Files -- Please Help

Post by jspanjol »

Hello All --
I have recently renewed my license key and now can no longer access my project files. The startup window works fine, and I can select and open the desired workspace. However, once the workspace opens, everything is blank (no indicators, no projects, etc.). I even tried opening up SPLSM files directly through Windows, going into the workspace folder and selecting SmartPLS to open the file. Same thing happens -- workspace opens and nothing shows up.
If there is anybody who knows how to get the files to open, please help!
Thanks,
Jelena
Sebastian1
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Sebastian1 »

I have the same problem and no solution :-( !
Thank you for your support.
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi

This problem is not connected with reactivating the SmartPLS software.

The meta-info file in your workspace obviously has been destroyed/manipulated or replaced by another one.

You find in the workspace a meta-info file which contains some things SmartPLS need to know. If this info on the projects is not there anymore, SmartPLS cannot show the projects in the “project window”.

Solution:
  • -Create a new workspace
    -In SmartPLS, create a new project in the new workspace -> This new project must have exactly the same name of the project that is missing.
    -Close SmartPLS
    -Copy and paste the project files from the old workspace into the project folder with the same name in the new workspace
    -Start SmartPLS and select the new workspace.
    -You should see your model and your data files; double click on the data and give SmartPLS the info on the data separator (use preview to select the correct one; e.g. comma, tab) and the indicate if you have missing values.
Everything should work, again.

The loss of the meta-info file is a trouble maker. Never copy one workspace into another one and just zip (or otherwise backup) your existing workspace. In case of damaging your meta-info file, you can easily replace it.

Best
CR
SteveBurgess
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by SteveBurgess »

Compliments of the season, Chris!

Just to confirm that I followed your instructions from the earlier post and recovered everything.

Thanks and best wishes for the new year!
Professor Steven Michael Burgess
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Business School
14 Bird Street
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
ldcarte2
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Error Message - Workspace in Use

Post by ldcarte2 »

When I try to open SmartPLS I receive an error message stating that the workspace is already in use. Even after I create a new workspace I can not open SmartPLS. No mater what I call the workspace, I receive a message saying the workspace is in use. I can not open SmartPLS at all, because I can't get past this step. Any ideas?
Lemuria Carter, Associate Professor
North Carolina A & T State University