Importing data problems (non-integral values)

PLS is broadly applied in modern business research. This forum is the right place for discussions on the use of PLS in the fields of Marketing, Strategic Management, Information Technology etc.
Tatiana
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Tatiana Andreeva

Importing data problems (non-integral values)

Post by Tatiana » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 am

Hello everyone,
I am importing my data to SmartPLS and seems it does not import correctly.
My data is a combination of usual latent variables and pre-calculated indices that I am going to use as "observed" variables. These indices are mostly non-integral numbers (e.g., 4.58999 or 3.3333). I did this pre-calculations in SPSS, saved my data in csv. formal and exported it in SmartPLS. And I noticed that my data was not exported correctly. The non-integral variables get transformed in a crazy way - they get weird means, mins-max, etc. Could you please advise me how to solve this? Or SmartPLS cannot handle such data?

With many thanks
Tatiana

jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Importing data problems (non-integral values)

Post by jmbecker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm

You need to take care about both the symbol separating the different values in the columns (e.g., ";") and the symbol indicating the decimal point. For the second, you can choose between the European standard (i.e., use a "," as decimal separator) or the Anglo-American standard (i.e., use a "." as decimal separator). Based on your example, you want to choose the "."
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, University of Cologne, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ja ... v=hdr_xprf
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de

Tatiana
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Tatiana Andreeva

Re: Importing data problems (non-integral values)

Post by Tatiana » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks a lot!