FIMIX exploratory variable

PLS is broadly applied in modern business research. This forum is the right place for discussions on the use of PLS in the fields of Marketing, Strategic Management, Information Technology etc.
JoyFielding
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mara Holte

FIMIX exploratory variable

Post by JoyFielding » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am

Hello all,

I have a short question related to the FIMIX analysis in order to detect/explain unobserved heterogeneity. I have a model with three endogenous reflective constructs that describe three different performance aspects. These constructs are measured by a number of indicators. When running the FIMIX analysis, I come up with two FIMIX segments. I then tried to find an explanatory variable that best matches these FIMIX segments. However, the best match I get is for a variable that is calculated as a mean out of the above mentioned performance indicators (it uses all indicators of the three endogenous constructs and thus, describes the OVERALL performance instead of the three performance aspects).

Is it acceptable to use this overall performance variable as the explanatory variable to explain the FIMIX segments even though the indicators are already part of the PLS model? So far, I had the impression that the explanatory variable must not be part of the model which is why I am not sure what the correct procedure is.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
BR Mara

jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: FIMIX exploratory variable

Post by jmbecker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Usually, the explanatory variable should not be part of the model. Maybe you need to keep searching for other variables. Or based on the description of the segments and some theory and speculations propose a variable that could be a good explanatory variable and should be tested in future research.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, University of Cologne, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ja ... v=hdr_xprf
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de