Reflective-Formative HCM | Discriminant Validity HTMT

PLS is broadly applied in modern business research. This forum is the right place for discussions on the use of PLS in the fields of Marketing, Strategic Management, Information Technology etc.
Cappymac
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Chris Lin

Reflective-Formative HCM | Discriminant Validity HTMT

Post by Cappymac » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Folks,

I would like to evaluate discriminant validity of my 2nd order reflective-formative model.

I am not 100% sure if this is the right way to do it:

Employing the two stage-approach I first created my model using the repeated indicator
approach, ran the PLS algorithm and saved the latent variables in a .csv file. Based on this
data I built my "new" model and now would use the HTMT ratios as well as the confidence
interval to evaluate discriminant validity.
However, my new model does not include my lower-order-constructs, but rather only my
higher order construct.

Would this still be the right approach?

Best regards

Chris

MrcJnk
PLS User
Real name and title: Marc Janka

Re: Reflective-Formative HCM | Discriminant Validity HTMT

Post by MrcJnk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi Chris:

I would advise you not to use the repeated indicator approach because of issues that arise of artificially correlated residuals (see Becker et al., 2012). Instead I would use the two step approach and first estimate the latent variable scores of your first-order construct in a fully specified model without the second-order construct. Then I would use these latent variable scores in the second step.

For formative constructs, construct validity and discriminant tests are not feasible. Instead, formative constructs (and this also concerns second-order constructs) require in-depth theoretical explanation (see Sarstedt et al., 2016) and you should evaluate if multicollinearity may be an issue.

Becker, J.-M., Klein, K., and Wetzels, M. 2012. Hierarchical Latent Variable Models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for Using Reflective-Formative Type Models. Long Range Planning 45 (5–6): 359–394.
Sarstedt, M., Hair, J. F., Ringle, C. M., Thiele, K. O., and Gudergan, S. P. 2016. Estimation issues with pls and cbsem: Where the bias lies! Journal of Business Research 69 (10): 3998−4010.

Best

Marc